Third day of Treatment - Things are a little better

I had a crappy sleep last night. I tossed and turned a lot. I woke up with a headache, feeling grumpy and overall just feeling like garbage. I was not looking forward to treatment today.

I learned some things that would explain why I am struggling to cope with the treatment. First of all, the protocol I am being given is not the standard treatment seen in many of the clinics in the U.S. It is a newer more intense treatment using theta waves. This treatment tends to be more painful for people but allows to the patient to get the same benefit as a 30-45 minute treatment using the standard (old) method. Many of the clinics offering the old method are starting to switch over to the more intense and shorter treatments so that they can see more patients in a day as the demand grows. About 50% of the people who have this treatment find it painful vs the others who feel no pain just the tapping. The standard/old method is less painful and the sensation is more like tapping. So, the pain I am feeling (stabbing in my brain) is not just me being sensitive but is pretty normal for the treatment I am getting. This makes me feel a lot better. I was thinking I was weak or that I was over sensitive or something.

My plan of attack to get through the treatment today was simple. Take double the Tylenol and Advil (which did double duty in making it less painful for me to walk with my messed up foot), to listen to music during the treatment (Stingray Chill Lounge) and to get the tech to distract me with conversation. I asked her what her hobbies were and shared what mine were and then the treatment was over.

Yes, the treatment was still painful to me but it went by a lot faster and didn't seem as bad as yesterday. I felt more tense today going into treatment because I know it is going to hurt and there is some pressure on me to get up to the recommended dose.

I started at 44% today and got up to over 60% today - I cannot remember the exact number. I felt relieved that I made it through and good that I got farther than I did yesterday. The technician says that by next week the pain should subside and any headache I am getting as a result of treatment should diminish. I am really looking forward to that.

After treatment I went grocery shopping and bought a cake for myself to enjoy at the end of day 5 to celebrate. 3 down, 17 more to go. I am determined not to lose faith that I can get through this.

Comments